Exmoor Historic Signposts Project
This project provides support to volunteers maintaining Exmoor National Park’s distinctive traditional signposts, which are a much valued part of the Exmoor landscape. It follows on from a 2 year project funded through the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), Exmoor National Park Authority (ENPA) and Somerset County Council (SCC) in 2017-2018. As all signposts remain the property of the County Councils, volunteers must complete Health and Safety training organised by SCC and will also register as SCC volunteers to be covered by their insurance. Please contact us separately if you want to maintain a signpost in Devon.
The Exmoor Historic Signpost Project covers the whole of the National Park and adjoining parishes and is managed by a local Steering Group. Once registered and trained, volunteers can ‘adopt’ signposts from a list, or offer to assist. Communication with other volunteers is facilitated through a GDPR compliant group email system. ENPA have established a fund to support the purchase of equipment and parts through CareMoor.
You can see the list of signposts, more details and find out how to volunteer here:
Historic Signpost Project (opens in Better Impact - our Volunteer Management System)
We are recruiting volunteers to help with the following:
- To sign up as a lead volunteer and ‘adopt’ signposts
- To sign up to offer assistance to a lead volunteer
- Volunteers monitor the condition of adopted signposts and clean, clear vegetation and repaint those signposts which need minor refurbishment
For signposts that are in need of more major restoration, or are located in hazardous positions, then contractors may be employed to help out. Please contact us as below.
What can the project offer?
- Training to cover health and safety (arranged by SCC)
- Training in the methodology for cleaning and repainting signposts
- Funding to cover the cost of equipment
- Support and guidance to include paint and equipment, help with forms and liaison with Somerset County Council Highways team.
If you would like to become involved with this project then please contact:
Patrick Watts-Mabbott, (Volunteer and Outreach Officer)
Shirley Blaylock (Conservation Officer, Historic Environment)
Tel: 01398 322289
Exmoor National Park Authority
Exmoor House, Dulverton, Somerset TA22 9HL
Tel: 01398 323665 (Switchboard)
- Exmoor's Wildlife
- Exmoor Wildwatch
- The Exmoor Landscape
- Towns and Villages
- Trees and Woodland
- Exmoor's Coast
- Exmoor's Rivers & Streams
- Porlock Marsh Vision
- Exmoor's Geology
- Wildlife Events