Use of Drones

Policy & Guidance on the Use of Drones and Model Aircraft within Exmoor National Park

The recreational use of Drones is becoming increasingly popular. Whether you want to just fly one for fun within the National Park or to use it commercially for filming, there are some basic principles to follow:

  • On Land Owned by Exmoor National Park Authority

Exmoor National Park Authority (ENPA) owns about 7% of the land with the National Park boundary. You can see what we own here:

If you want to fly a drone or other model aircraft from or over our land you will need to ask us for permission. Much of our estate is rented by farmers, graziers and others and so it may not always be possible for us to give you a licence; however we will do our best to help.

The more popular smaller drones used for leisure or non-commercial filming (under 20kg generally) do not need to be licensed by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). However, there are safety rules which are summarised in the CAA’s Dronecode:

  • Make sure you can see your drone at all times and don't fly higher than 400 feet
  • Always keep your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields
  • Use your common sense and fly safely; you could be prosecuted if you don't.

Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:

  • within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures
  • over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events

Commercial users should have a formal UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) qualification accredited by the CAA. You will also need Public Liability Insurance and Aviation Insurance Liability cover. Evidence of these documents should be provided when applying to ENPA for a licence.

  • On Other Land Within Exmoor National Park

The Authority can’t give permission for drones to be flown over other people’s property so you will need the landowners consent. However we may be able to help with landowner information.

For further information, please contact:

Exmoor National Park Authority:

For general advice: Access & Recreation Manager: Dan Barnett,, 01398 322297

For licensing: Land & Property Manager: Matt Harley,, 01398 322274

Or visit: CAA -