The National Park Ranger Experience
Step aboard a National Park Land Rover this summer with an Exmoor Ranger to experience a wild and hidden landscape!
- Discover hidden Exmoor by Land Rover
- Explore a working hill farm
- Experience nature
- Hear extraordinary stories of life as a National Park Ranger
- Local produce farmhouse lunch and refreshments included
- 6 hour experience with max 4 passengers
- £145 per person (includes farmhouse lunch, refreshments, guide and travel)
- 10 dates to choose from between June and October 2019 (scroll down)
- Exclusive bespoke Experiences also available
Online booking is now open but you can raise any queries or discuss suitability or any mobility concerns before you book by emailing Katrina Munro on KJMunro@exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk
Bookings have already started so we recommend booking ASAP to avoid disappointment.
This National Park Ranger Experience is an exciting offering - experience the National Park, its communities and special qualities through the eyes of a Ranger.
Take to the narrow lanes, catch some spectacular views and go to places rarely experienced by visitors. You’ll discover how the Ranger team maintain the network of paths and bridges and how they work closely with local communities, farmers, and land owners; some of whom you may well meet along the way. Your experience will be tailored to your interests with countless extraordinary stories and opportunities known only by your experienced Ranger.
Along the way, you’ll have the opportunity to explore unspoilt villages and follow winding roads through coastal woodlands. You’ll discover views that inspired the Romantic Poets and visit historic sites from ancient churches to historic stones steeped in history and folklore. A highlight will be to explore the wild moorland and ancient wooded valleys where the Ranger will help you to discover hidden sights, wildlife and breath taking views.
Each experience will include a visit to the National Park’s workshop where local timber from our own sustainably managed woodlands is turned into the distinctive trail signs, bridges and gates seen across Exmoor.
A local produce farmhouse lunch will be provided at an Exmoor farm where they work in harmony with nature. The farmer will take you around the farm and chat with you about the joys and challenges of upland farming on Exmoor.
From the delight of meeting local characters and behind the scenes visits, to seeing the famous Exmoor ponies and maybe some wild red deer in their natural habitat - there is no limit to your Exmoor adventure with a Ranger!
You’ll also each take home a unique gift to remind you of your Ranger experience.
Each Experience departs at 10am from the National Park Centre at Dunster (Dunster Steep, Dunster TA24 6SE), returning by 4pm.
Each tour has a maximum of 4 participants so the Ranger will be able to tailor the day to suit your interests and the weather.
Price per person is £145 (includes farmhouse lunch, refreshments, guide and travel).
- Food allergies can only be accommodated for bookings made 48hs before departure
- The Experience involves travelling in a long-wheel based Land Rover. This is not a luxury, comfortable vehicle, it is a working vehicle: it is high off the ground (a step will be available), and space inside is limited. Please call us before booking to discuss any mobility issues.
- The minimum age is 13 years. All children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
This is very special experience with only limited availability. We are running Experiences on the following ten dates in 2019 - all of which are Wednesdays :
- 5th June - only 2 spaces left
- 19th June
- 3rd July - 3 spaces left
- 17th July - 2 spaces left
- 7th August
- 21st August
- 4th September - only 2 spaces left
- 18th September
- 2nd October - only 1 space left
- 16th October
We can also offer an Exclusive bespoke Experience (for 1-4 up to 4 passengers) on other dates by prior arrangement.
Do email Katrina on KJMunro@exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk for details or call 01398 323665. See Terms and Conditions below.
Terms and Coniditons:
Age restrictions Experience is suitable for over 12's only. Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Mobility The Experience involves travelling in a long-wheel based Land Rover. This is not a luxury, comfortable vehicle, it is a working vehicle: it is high off the ground (a step will be available), and space inside is limited. There will be a fair amount of getting in and out of the vehicle and also some short distance walking. We have attempted to make this experience available to a wide range of customers, and will try to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate customers with mobility issues. Please contact us on 01643 821835 to discuss your requirements before booking or email NPCDunster@exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk
Clothing & Footwear Participants must wear suitable outdoor clothing and footwear. There is likely to be some short-distance walking and suitable footwear must be worn.
Food allergies Food allergy requests must be made at the time of booking and can only be accommodated on experiences booked at least 48hrs in advance.
Refunds No refunds can be given, although we will try and move you onto another date where there might be availability. Call 01643 821835 to enquire or email NPCDunster@exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk
Cancellation by the Exmoor National Park Authority In the unlikely event that we need to cancel a date, then a full refund will be given.
- Donate to Caremoor
- Spring on Exmoor
- Exmoor Events Calendar
- Exmoor Visitor Map
- Big Adventures and Family Events
- Walking on Exmoor
- Interactive Maps on Exmoor
- Download the Exmoor App
- Where to stay
- ExploreMoor - Travel Information
- National Park Centres
- Out and About Essentials
- Exmoor for Families
- Accessible Exmoor
- The National Park Ranger Experience
- Guidance for Event Organisers
- Horse Riding
- Road Cycling
- Mountain Biking
- Trail Running
- Sea Kayaking
- Tarr Steps
- Exmoor - a year in sounds
- Services Information for Exmoor
- Lorna Doone 150th Anniversary