Here are profiles of some local wood-using businesses which are based either on or near to Exmoor, plus a link to a national organisation, Grown in Britain which is promoting the use of wood across the country. For further details on the services and products they can offer, please get in touch with the businesses through their websites or give them a call.
Bernard Dru Oak
Bernard Dru manages mixed woodlands in the Haddeo Valley, at the south western end of Wimbleball Lake, which have been in his family for many years. Bernard Dru Oak make solid timber flooring for customers from kiln-dried oak, most of which comes from their own woodlands. As well as solid oak flooring, Bernard Dru Oak can also supply different types of parquet flooring including designs such as herringbone, chevron parquet or parquet de Versailles, and there is also a parquet design service available. During 2013, some of Bernard's oak was used to fit out the new Lynmouth Pavilion, owned by Exmoor National Park Authority. Tel. 01643 841 312
Clifford Frost manages Minehead Sawmills in Minehead and uses local timber from the surrounding woodlands which belong to the Crown Estate. His range includes fencing material, garden furniture and buildings, processed timber and round timber products. Another branch of the business is woodfuel and Clifford is involved in advising on woodfuel heating systems as well as providing woodfuel in the form of firewood and kindling, again from local woodlands. Tel. 01643 704381
Grown in Britain
Grown in Britain is a national organisation that aims to bring together everyone who values the UK's forests, woods and trees and the products that can be made from them. It is bringing together:
* The environmentalists and woodland owners who contributed to the policy shaping work of the Independent Forestry Panel
* The contractors, builders and retailers who want to buy, use and sell more British timber and wood based products.
* Woodland managers, public and private agencies who want to see many more of our woods managed to produce sustainable and legal sources of wood.
- Exmoor's Wildlife
- Exmoor - a year in sounds
- The Exmoor Landscape
- Towns and Villages
- Trees and Woodland
- Exmoor's Coast
- Exmoor's Rivers & Streams
- Porlock Marsh Vision
- Exmoor's Geology
- Wildlife Events
- Exmoor Non-Native Invasive Species (ENNIS) Project