Exmoor Day - 19th October
Celebrate all that is good on #ExmoorDay
The 19th October is Exmoor Day - a day to celebrate all that Exmoor National Park offers to the world. Exmoor National Park boasts inspiring landscapes, thriving communities, wonderful wildlife, enterprising businesses, and a rich cultural heritage.
Why the 19th October?
Exmoor National Park came into being on 19th October 1954 when the Designation Order made by the National Parks Commission was confirmed by the Minister for Housing and Local Government, Harold Macmillan, making Exmoor the 8th National Park in the UK.
Why is Exmoor so special?
Home to just under 10,000 residents Exmoor is one of the finest landscapes in the country. The National Park attracts in excess of 2m visitor days a year and is home to well over 1,000 local businesses. Ancient woodlands and heather clad moorlands provide important habitats for all kinds of creatures great and small including the iconic free living Exmoor Ponies and the largest herds of Red deer in the country. At night Exmoor comes alive under some of the darkest skies in the country offering unrivalled opportunities to see thousands of stars above.
What will be happening on Exmoor Day?
Keep your eyes on our social media channels @ExmoorNP on Twitter / Facebook and @exmoor_national_Park on Instagram and follow the #ExmoorDay hashtag to see what others are saying.
- Our Chief Executive, Sarah Bryan, will kickstart the day with a video message reflecting on her views of Exmoor.
- National Park Centre's, as well as our online shop, will be offering a 10% discount on non promotional items throughout the day (use code EXMOORDAY10 on checkout).
- At 2pm join the team behind the exciting new Dark Sky Discovery Trail for an exclusive preview of the film and a virtual chat about this new opportunity. We will be joined by special guest Will Gater - Astronomer, writer and presenter. Join us on Microsoft Team using this link - you can join as a guest either via your web browser or by downloading the TEAMs app. You can use the chat facility to ask questions during the session which will be answered by the panel at the end.
- As the sun sets on Exmoor Day we will finish in the evening with the global premiere (!) of the stunning new Dark Sky Discovery Trail film on social media.
How can you get involved?
- Please share your photos, memories and experiences of Exmoor using the #ExmoorDay hashtag.
- Local business will be holding special promotions - see below and on social media. Search #ExmoorDay
Exmoor Day Offers, Promotions & Competitions
Search #ExmoorDay on social media .
If have any enquiries about Exmoor or Exmoor Day please send them to email@example.com
- Plan Your Visit
- Donate to Caremoor
- Walking on Exmoor
- Exmoor Visitor Map
- Exmoor Events Calendar
- Out and About Essentials
- National Park Centres
- Exmoor for Families
- Stargazing & Dark Skies
- Exmoor Visitor
- Pinkery Breaks
- Where to stay
- ExploreMoor - Travel Information
- Accessible Exmoor
- The National Park Ranger Experience
- Park Partners
- Horse Riding
- Road Cycling
- Mountain Biking
- Tarr Steps
- Exmoor Day - 19th October
- Book Exmoor Experiences
- Proposals for the Valley of Rocks Picnic Site – Update May 2021