Exmoor Day - 19th October
Celebrate all that is good on #ExmoorDay
The 19th October is Exmoor Day - a day to celebrate all that Exmoor National Park offers to the world. Exmoor National Park boasts inspiring landscapes, thriving communities, wonderful wildlife, enterprising businesses, and a rich cultural heritage. The National Park Authority is joining forces with Visit Exmoor and various local tourism and community organisations to shout about Exmoor from the rooftops.
Why the 19th October?
Exmoor National Park came into being on 19th October 1954 when the Designation Order made by the National Parks Commission was confirmed by the Minister for Housing and Local Government Harold Macmillan – making Exmoor the 8th National Park in the UK.
Why is Exmoor so special?
Home to just under 10,000 residents Exmoor is one of the finest landscapes in the country. The National Park attracts in excess of 2m visitor days a year and is home to well over 1,000 local businesses. Ancient woodlands and heather clad moorlands provide important habitats for all kinds of creatures great and small including the iconic free living Exmoor Ponies and the largest herds of Red deer in the country. At night Exmoor comes alive under some of the darkest skies in the country offering unrivalled opportunities to see thousands of stars above.
What will be happening on Exmoor Day?
Keep your eyes on our social media channels @ExmoorNP on Twitter / Facebook and @exmoor_national_Park on Instagram and follow the #ExmoorDay hashtag to see what others are saying.
- 07:30am – I love Exmoor film released - https://youtu.be/G-Wq6iBLYIE
- 10:30am – Join us for the virtual opening and celebration of the new Woodside Bridge, following a successful community-backed campaign to raise £65K. See: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV7ok0DpIZ8
- 12:00pm – Join our Rangers Rosie and Charlotte for a virtual Exmoor Seashore Safari. See: https://youtu.be/6WuPhebnp9w
- 15:00pm – Learn about fungi plus a new milestone for our Exmoor WildWatch programme on iNaturalist.See: https://youtu.be/qzQLX7ypBJI
- Throughout the day our National Park Centres will be running an online quiz on Twitter- test your Exmoor knowledge against the experts!
How can you get involved?
- Please share your photos, memories and experiences of Exmoor using the #ExmoorDay hashtag.
- Local business will be holding special promotions - see below and on social media. Search #ExmoorDay
Exmoor Day Offers, Promotions & Competitions
Search #ExmoorDay on social media .
After a successful and busy Exmoor Day 2020 we'll be running the event again next year (we hope with real and virtual events!)- so stay in touch and if you have any enquiries about Exmoor or Exmoor Day please send them to email@example.com
- Plan Your Visit
- Donate to Caremoor
- Walking on Exmoor
- Exmoor Visitor Map
- Exmoor Events Calendar
- Out and About Essentials
- National Park Centres
- Exmoor for Families
- Exmoor Visitor
- Pinkery Breaks
- Where to stay
- ExploreMoor - Travel Information
- Accessible Exmoor
- The National Park Ranger Experience
- Park Partners
- Horse Riding
- Road Cycling
- Mountain Biking
- Tarr Steps
- Exmoor Day - 19th October
- Book Exmoor Experiences
- Proposals for the Valley of Rocks Picnic Site – Update May 2021