Rural Enterprise Exmoor Vision
A new vision for Exmoor’s future economy has been developed following almost two years of research and consultation with businesses, communities, and stakeholders.
The overall aspiration is for Exmoor to have:
An economy building community wealth, sitting lightly in its environment and creating opportunities from its special qualities.
It’s a vision about creating opportunities for entrepreneurs to develop their ideas, for people to thrive and for the environment to recover. It identifies two major factors which are driving change both in the economy and wider society and which demand a response – an increasingly green agenda as a result of the climate and nature emergencies and a more technologically driven digital world.
In order to achieve the vision a number of priorities, propositions and proposals have been identified. The Rural Enterprise Exmoor Partnership will be pursuing opportunities to fulfil the vision and the opportunities identified.
Read the vision here (PDF).
Unpacking the vision:
- An economy building community wealth... Community wealth is an economic concept focusing on directing benefits and ownership back into the local community. It is also about measuring other outputs from our economy, in addition to traditional financial measures.
- ...sitting lightly in its environment... Exmoor is a special place and a national asset, protected for the benefit of the nation - our vision seeks to ensure the economy and environment can both recover and prosper in harmony.
- ...creating opportunities from its special qualities. Whilst Exmoor's geography and designation can bring certain challenges, they also bring many unique opportunities which we wish to grow and build upon.
Sign up to our e-news to be kept informed.
The Rural Enterprise Exmoor Vision has been developed on behalf of the Exmoor community by a partnership with representation from Devon County Council, Exmoor Hill Farming Network, Exmoor National Park Authority, Federation of Small Businesses, Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership, North Devon Council, Somerset County Council, Somerset West and Taunton, Visit Exmoor and West Somerset Business Group.
Speaking about the publication of the vison Dan James, Rural Enterprise Manager for Exmoor National Park said: “Exmoor’s status as a National Park demands a special approach to measuring its economic development that is based on much more than just money and financial wealth. Whilst Exmoor is an incredibly special place it can not stay static. As a result of the work done to date, we have a much better understanding of the types of businesses on Exmoor and the specific challenges and opportunities they face. By bringing together a collaborative partnership we are much better placed to develop a shared approach to supporting our economy while conserving the special qualities of the National Park.”
“The National Park Authority has an important role to play in supporting local business, through facilitation of planning, maintaining the landscape and providing a rural voice. However, we are dependent on the input of so many other bodies that have a vital role to play too and so it has been great to see so many partners , businesses, community representatives and other stakeholders coming together to agree this vision. Through Rural Enterprise Exmoor we hope to develop strategies to benefit business right across the board, while conserving the special qualities of the National Park.”
- Health and Wellbeing
- Guidance for Event Organisers
- Services Information for Exmoor
- Information for Farmers and Land Managers
- Information for Tourism Providers
- Business & Economy
- Grants and Funding
- Park Partners
- The Lynmouth Pavilion Project
- Superfast Broadband
- Affordable Housing on Exmoor
- Brendon Commons Council
- Headwaters of the Exe Project
- Eat Exmoor
- Farming in Protected Landscapes Programme