Farming in Protected Landscapes Programme
Defra’s Farming in Protected Landscapes programme will be accepting applications from 1st July 2021. On Exmoor we will be delivering the programme.
It is open to all farmers and land managers within a National Park or AONB in England as part of the Government’s Agricultural Transitional Plan, which sets out how Defra’s support for farmers and land managers is changing over the next few years.
What the programme will pay for
Farming in Protected Landscapes is a programme of funding for one-off projects, not an ongoing agri-environment scheme. It will support farmers and land managers to carry out projects that:
- support nature recovery
- mitigate the impacts of climate change
- provide opportunities for people to discover, enjoy and understand the landscape and its cultural heritage
- support nature-friendly, sustainable farm businesses
For example, the programme might support:
- promoting connectivity between habitats
- replacing stiles with gates on public footpaths, to promote easier access
- conserving historic features on a farm, such as lime kilns or mining heritage
- supporting a locally branded food initiative that promotes the links between the product and the landscape in which it is produced
- action to reduce carbon emissions on a farm
- gathering data and evidence to help inform conservation and farming practice
How to apply
You should apply between 1 July 2021 and 31 January 2022 for funding in the first year of the programme. We will award funding to successful applicants at any time between July and January, so you should submit your application as soon as it is ready.
We will also consider applications for funding in the second year of the programme, especially if you aim to begin early in the financial year. Multi-year awards are possible for longer projects, but all projects must end by March 2024.
To apply please complete the Application form and return to us via email to
or by post to Farming in Protected Landscapes Team, Exmoor National Park Authority, Exmoor House, Dulverton, Somerset. TA22 9HL.
If you would like us to help us advise you prior to completing an application please fill out an Expression of Interest form and email to
Find out more
- Health and Wellbeing
- Guidance for Event Organisers
- Services Information for Exmoor
- Information for Farmers and Land Managers
- Information for Tourism Providers
- Business & Economy
- Grants and Funding
- Park Partners
- The Lynmouth Pavilion Project
- Superfast Broadband
- Affordable Housing on Exmoor
- Brendon Commons Council
- Headwaters of the Exe Project
- Eat Exmoor
- Climate Action