If you visit Exmoor, please remember that social distancing measures continue to apply - please observe these at all times for your safety and the safety of communities, businesses and staff working in the National Park.
STAY ALERT, CONTROL THE VIRUS, SAVE LIVES.
You may find our Plan Your Visit Page helpful.
Dark Skies Map
Exmoor National Park has some of the darkest skies in the UK so it's a great place for Stargazing. Read more below or use this map to find our recommended family stargazing and astronomy observation sites along with the locations of our Exmoor Dark Sky Friendly Accredited businesses. click on the map for full screen
Exmoor's Dark Skies
Our dark skies are some of the best in the UK. We have minimal light pollution and on a cloudless night you can see the milky way, thousands of stars and astronomical sights with the naked eye. In 2011 Exmoor was designated as an International Dark Sky Reserve by the International Dark Sky Association. So why not take the time to visit Exmoor and look up?
New for 2021!!! An Astronomer's Guide to Exmoor National Park
- this free downloadable document has been written by astronomer Jo Richardson and is designed to show the reader why Exmoor is one of the best places in the UK for stargazing. It also contains tips on locations for lunar, constellation, dep sky and Summer Milky Way observations including notes on parking, equipment set-up and facilities. There's also a picture gallery giving examples of what wonders have been captured by local astrophotographers. Download the Astronomer's Guide Here.
Is available to all from our National Park Centres - where we also sell a range of books, telescopes and helpful material. You can see one of the telescopes and how to use them in this short video. Telescopes can be hired from the 3 Exmoor National Park Centres (Dulverton, Dunster and Lynmouth) which you then take out yourself onto Exmoor to see the stars. Check the link for each Centre's opening hours and contact details to book your hire.£25.00 cost of hire for a night, £10.00 cost for any additional nights, £100 deposit (which is refunded). We are currently implementing a 72 hour period between hire in order to clean and isolate the equipment due to the Coronavirus.
More Stargazing Info
Dark Skies Pocket Guide - to help you get the most from Exmoor's dark skies we have produced a pocket guide - Download the Pocket Guide here or pick up a copy from one of our National Park Centres. Some particularly good spots for family stargazing are::
- Holdstone Hill
- County Gate
- Brendon Two Gates
- Webbers Post
- Anstey Gate
- Haddon Hill
- Wimbleball Lake
When is a good time or weather for stargazing? You'll see the most stars on a clear and moonless night - Check out the Exmoor Weather forecast from the Met Office here and for general stargazing advice, moon phases, astronomical events and advice on equipment visit www.gostargazing.co.uk
Dark Skies Discovery Hub at Exford - New for 2021- Events every TUESDAY EVENING Jennie and Malcolm Wild from Wild about Exmoor are joining forces with the Exford Bridge Tea Rooms (Chapel Street, Exford TA24 7PY) to put on a series of bookable guided stargazing events and planetarium style presentations throughout the summer, including a regular Tuesday evening event starting in June 2021. The Tea Rooms has information to help inspire you to make the most our dark skies, star charts, astronomical events and details of events you can book. For more info visit www.wildaboutexmoor.com/exmoor-stargazing-and-night-hikes call 01643 831759 or email email@example.com
If you're thinking of visiting Exmoor and would like to contact someone about stargazing and stargazing events then please email Katrina on KJMunro@exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk
Exmoor Dark Skies Newsletter - To sign up for our Dark Skies E-newsletter to find out about any events or the 2021 festival enter your name and email address to sign up to our newsletters.
Dark Sky Places Annual Report - Over the last 12 months many individuals and organisations have been continuing to promote and protect Exmoor’s beautiful dark night time skies. Find out more in our annual Dark Sky Places Report prepared for the International Dark Sky Association.
Exmoor "Dark Sky Friendly" Accommodation Providers
The following accommodation and experience/activity providers have all received dark skies training and have been accredited as Dark Sky Friendly businesses. They understand the importance of Exmoor's dark skies, why they need protecting and can help you make the most of your visit with advice and stargazing equipment/resources available for your use.
- Wild About Exmoor (Public Group and Exclusive Stargazing Experiences and Events) www.wildaboutexmoor.com
- Court Farm, Exford (Holiday Cottages) www.courtfarm.co.uk
- Exmoor Character Cottages, Minehead (Holiday Cottages) www.exmoorcharactercottages.co.uk
- Halse Farm Caravan & Camping Site (all Camping) www.halsefarm.co.uk
- Heale Farm, Parracombe (Holiday Cottages and Retreats) www.healefarm.co.uk
- Holworthy Farm, Brompton Regis (Farmhouse rooms, meals, studio and retreats) www.holworthyfarm.co.uk
- Little Burston, Dulverton (Holiday Cottage) www.burstonfarm.com
- New House Farm Cottages, Witheridge (Holiday Cottages) www.newhousecottages.co.uk
- Pinkery Centre for Outdoor Learning, Simonsbath (Large private group and school bookings) www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/pinkery-centre
- Porlock Visitor Centre, Porlock (Visitor Centre- visitor info point only) www.porlock.co.uk
- Primrose Cottage, Rockford, Brendon (Holiday Cottage) www.primrosecottageexmoor.co.uk
- Rosanda House, Minehead (Self Catering Holiday Flats) www.rosanda.co.uk
- Salad Days & Holi Beach Huts, Dunster (Holiday accommodation) www.dunsterbeachhut.com
- Simonsbath House (Hotel, Cottages, Study centre) www.simonsbathhouse.co.uk
- Stockham Farm, Dulverton (Holiday Cottages) www.stockhamfarmexmoor.co.uk
- Syms Cottage, Cutcombe (Holiday Cottage) Facebook link
- Two Moors Way Cottages, Witheridge (Holiday Cottages) www.twomoorswaycottages.co.uk
- Westerclose House, Withypool (Holiday Cottages) www.westerclose.co.uk
- Wild about Exmoor, Exford (Holiday Cottage and Experiences) www.wildaboutexmoor.com
- Wimbleball Lake, South West Lakes Trust (Camping & Activity Providers) www.southwestlakes.co.uk/location/wimbleball-lake
- Yarn Market Hotel, Dunster (Hotel) www.yarnmarkethotel.co.uk The hotel also runs special two night Stargazing Breaks. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for full details.
- Plan Your Visit
- Donate to Caremoor
- Walking on Exmoor
- Exmoor Visitor Map
- Exmoor Events Calendar
- Out and About Essentials
- National Park Centres
- Exmoor for Families
- Exmoor Visitor
- Pinkery Breaks
- Where to stay
- ExploreMoor - Travel Information
- Accessible Exmoor
- The National Park Ranger Experience
- Park Partners
- Horse Riding
- Road Cycling
- Mountain Biking
- Tarr Steps
- Exmoor Day - 19th October
- Book Exmoor Experiences