Dedications and Memorials
Dedications allow you to remember loved ones or special moments by either:
a) Dedicating a tree in Kings Wood, Simonsbath in the heart of Exmoor, where we are planting 6000 trees to create a new woodland. There are two options:
- Dedicate a tree from £13. This includes a high quality A5 sized card featuring a Leo Davey painting of a new woodland creation on Exmoor and a CareMoor certificate of Dedication. We can send the card and certificate to a person of your choice with your own personalised message for £15 - Read more and dedicate a tree here. Or we will send a blank card and certificate to you for your own use/message for £13. Read more and dedicate a tree here.
- Dedicate a specific parkland tree. By donating £750, you can support the planting of a large Sessile Oak or Scots Pine tree and make a dedication. Chose text for a plaque to be placed on the timber surround that will protect the young tree for at least 15 years. The trees will be planted in winter 24/25 and should live in excess of 500 years. Read more and dedicate a Parkland Tree here.
b) Dedication Plaques on Great Bradley Bridge could be the solution and offer families an important place to visit for years to come. Or maybe you would simply like to celebrate your love of Exmoor. You can choose your own wording for engraving (up to 5 lines of text). Order your plaque for £100. Read all the details, see an example plaque and order your plaque here.
c) Sponsoring an item of countryside furniture on Exmoor; under our Donate-a-Gate scheme, we will add a simple engraved plaque to a brand new or recently replaced gate or stile for a donation of £295 - see below.
Donate a Gate, allows you to sponsor a gate or stile on Exmoor for a contribution of £295 to our CareMoor for Exmoor scheme. For every contribution we will add a simple engraved aged bronze plaque in a discreet place (such as the inside edge of the gate post) on your chosen gate or stile. You can see an example here (PDF). You choose the wording for the plaque in memory of a loved one, or in celebration of a special occasion.
To make a Donate a Gate dedication:
- View the map below to identify the gates and stiles currently available to support. Click on the brown icons on the map to find out more about the item and its location.
- Choose your gate/stile and make a note of the reference number. This is important as it helps us identify the gate and provides the reference throughout the dedication process.
- Please read our Terms & Conditions to learn all about the scheme and what we are able to offer.
- Once you have chosen your gate/stile, noted the reference number and read the Ts&Cs, get in touch by phone or email to request your dedication, using the contact details below.
For further information or to discuss further, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01398 323665 and ask for CareMoor Dedications (Donate a Gate).
If the map below is not displaying - please open map via this link.
As someone with a deep appreciation of Exmoor you may wish to help conserve and enhance the National Park you love by leaving a 'gift' to Exmoor in your will. You can do this by supporting the 'CareMoor for Exmoor' scheme and in this way your love of Exmoor will last beyond your own lifetime. You may like to consider leaving a specific sum of money or a percentage of your estate to CareMoor, or simply ask for a collection in your memory, or donations to CareMoor in lieu of flowers, at your funeral.
How will your gift be used?
Gifts from wills will usually be added to our general CareMoor fund enabling us to direct them to where they are most needed and where they can make a difference for Exmoor. If you would wish your gift to be used for a more specific purpose you can ask that it be directed to either Conservation or Access work. We will be happy to discuss the use of the gift with you or your family to help match your areas of interest. You may like to let us know that you are leaving a legacy to CareMoor in your will - if you choose to do so we will be better placed to act on your wishes.
How do I arrange this?
We strongly advise that you ask your solicitor about including a legacy gift to CareMoor for Exmoor in your will. They will be able to provide the professional guidance to ensure your wishes are fully represented. Some suggested wording for inclusion in wills can be seen below. If you would like to discuss your legacy/gift with our CareMoor Officer please call 01398 323665 or email email@example.com .
Neither Exmoor National Park Authority or CareMoor for Exmoor are registered charities. Please take advice from your solicitor and/or HMRC regarding inheritance tax and legacy gifts to non-charitable organisations.
Call 01398 323665, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to CareMoor, Exmoor National Park Authority, Exmoor House, Dulverton, Somerset TA22 9HL.
Suggested wording for your solicitor to use in your Will
To leave a gift of a share of the estate (a residuary gift):
‘I give to CareMoor for Exmoor, Exmoor National Park Authority Exmoor House, Dulverton, Somerset TA22 9HL, (hereinafter called CareMoor) the residue (or % share of the residue) of my estate absolutely and I direct that (i) the proceeds may be used for the general purposes of CareMoor and (ii) a receipt signed by a person for the time being authorised by the Authority shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my executors.’
To leave a fixed sum (a pecuniary gift):
‘I give to CareMoor for Exmoor, Exmoor National Park Authority, of Exmoor House, Dulverton, Somerset, TA22 9HL (hereinafter called CareMoor) the sum of £______ and I direct that (i) the proceeds may be used for the general purposes of CareMoor and (ii) a receipt signed by a person for the time being authorised by the Authority shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my executors.’
Many people prefer to see donations made to a good cause in their memory or a donation requested in lieu of floral tributes.
We can provide you with a safe and secure online memorial page to share with friends and relatives in memory of a loved one, collecting donations in aid of CareMoor. You can also send a cheque to CareMoor to Exmoor House, Dulverton, TA22 9HL.
If you wish to have a collection in your memory then you can use wording such as this to make sure that your wishes are known: 'I request my executor to ensure that instead of flowers at my funeral, donations are requested, or a collection made for CareMoor for Exmoor, Exmoor National Park Authority, Exmoor House. Dulverton TA22 9HL.'
Do you want to let someone know that you've made a donation to CareMoor in memory of a loved one, or perhaps to mark their birthday or other special event. We have a special card that can be sent - these donation cards are available from our National Park Centres or online.
They are great for Birthdays, Christmas, Anniversaries or just because you care!
You will receive a beautiful card to send to your loved one, showing your donation.
You can make your £5 donation and order you card through our online shop here or at one of our National Park Centres at Dulverton, Dunster or Lynmouth.